Wednesday, August 29, 2012

I've been thinking about creating this blog for quite some time.  Frankly, the only reason I haven't started it sooner is because, quite obviously, it means I have to go on a diet.  I mean, how can you begin a diet blog and then not diet???  As one who enjoys a good puzzle and who doesn't think twice about taking detours in life, I've been really trying to figure out how to make this work.  Bad news.  Sigh.  It looks like if I want to do a blog on dieting, I'm going to have to go on a diet.

The new buzz on diets these days is NO DIET.  Apparently it's easier to deal with if we think of it as a "lifestyle change".  Now, maybe it's because I'm 55, or maybe it's because I've been having a "lifestyle change" since I was 12, but it all means the same to me.  In common terms, it simply means "don't eat".  I've gone to Weight Watchers so many times it's embarrassing.  I hate not to ace things, so I make sure I lose weight every week to convince myself and others that I'm the perfect student.  Except I'm not.  Sooner or later, each time, the weight creeps back slowly at first, then gathers momentum, until all the weight I've lost is back.  I've taken quizzes on my eating habits, and no matter how cutesy or scientific they make the quizzes, the questions are always the same.   Do you like to eat when you are lonely?  Do you find yourself going to the fridge when you are depressed? Doesn't everyone???? Are there specific times during the day you are more likely to eat?  hourly??  Here's the scoop for all those dieticians who want to know.  I love to eat.  I eat when I celebrate and I eat when I'm sad.  Yesterday, when I received a call that upset me, I promptly went to the kitchen and mixed up a great batch of brownies and ate half a row in the pan before noon.  Yeah, never saw that  question on any questionnaire....

What's my gimmick for this blog?  None. I'm not selling anything and I don't have degrees behind my name.  I'm just Jennifer, and I need to lose weight.  A lot of weight.  About 40 pounds worth to be exact.  This is my journey and I invite anyone who is going through the same thing to write.  I'd love to hear from you. 

So far today I've had an english muffin and coffee.  All this typing has given me an appetite.  I'll be hitting the cottage cheese and blueberries.....

Today has not been bad, although I wish I could say I didn't take a bite or two of the brownies I made yesterday, or eaten half a bag of popcorn.  However, I normally would have had at least 2 brownies so far today and eaten the entire bag of popcorn, so I will take it as a win.  At least I made a few good decisions in choosing food today.  I also mowed the grass, so hopefully that will take away the bites of brownies :(.

No comments:

Post a Comment